Monday, March 16, 2009

Kernel .config file for IBM T60 laptop (Ubuntu)

To check if compiling a new lighter kernel can save battery runtime and be faster on my IBM T60 laptop, I created a kernel .config file and compiled a new kernel.

I currently run Ubuntu 8.1 on my laptop. Ubuntu default kernel is loaded with a lot of kernel modules which I did not need for my laptop.

Here is a gist of my crude understanding of the outcome:

1) GNOME was too heavy to notice any considerable battery runtime improvement.

2) The applications definitely load faster on GNOME. Possibly by a few microseconds as I could feel a tangible difference.

3) XFCE works brilliantly well with the new kernel. I could almost get 20 mins extra with an overall runtime of approx 2 hr 45 mins.

4) The applications load very fast in XFCE.

5) I did get faster boot, shutdown, and recovery from sleep.

I did not try to quantify any of the above. If any of you try it on your laptop do let me know about the performance. Thanks.

No comments: